You can be a GREEN LOBO by following these
suggested sustainability guidelines for your office:
Learn more about alternative community options available through UNM Parking and Transportation Services. For more information, call (505) 277-1920 and talk to one of our alternative transportation coordinators or learn more at: http://pats.unm.edu/TIC.cfm
- Turn off lights when you leave any unoccupied room and maximize natural lighting where possible. Bring a sweater and dress in layers to keep heating and cooling costs down – open and close blinds to control room temperatures.
- Turn off all computers, monitors, printers and other electrical equipment when you leave work (tip – connect all your office electronics to a power strip for easy one-click turn off/unplug.)
- Optimize the energy settings for your computer and peripherals so you can conserve energy while they are in use.
- Bring your lunch to work in reusable containers and stock your office with reusable mugs, plates, utensils, and napkins.
- When buying your morning coffee, take advantage of the discounts offered to customers who bring their own coffee mugs.
- Patronize restaurants and vendors who purchase their products from local farmers and businesses. A list of these restaurants can be found at: http://www.eatwellguide.org/search/summary/?device=&iframe=11
- Work with UNM Purchasing (http://www.unm.edu/~purch/) to incorporate their 4P Purchasing model (people, planet, profit, performance) for your department's proposals and bids. Vendors in LoboMart can be asked to list their "greener" items in their on-line catalogs.
- Consider buying office supplies and equipment made locally or from recycled materials and choose suppliers who take back packaging for reuse.
- Look for products that meet credible environmental standards, such as EPEAT or Energy Star (information on these standards can be found at http://www.epeat.net/
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
- Get your free bus pass at the SUB Information Desk and visit the Parking and Transportation kiosk in the SUB plaza level to plan your trip to campus. Consider a combination of carpooling, taking public transit, biking, or walking.
- Whenever possible, utilize videoconferencing and conference calls as an alternative to travel (even across town!)
- Make use of the campus bicycle share and ZipCar programs. Information can be found at: http://pats.unm.edu/alternativecommute.cfm
UNM Guide to Sustainable Living
- As students we are always on the go, thinking of how to manage our time and money until the end of the semester while still aiming to have fun in the process.
- Making your own products and re-pourposing things you already have is not only empowering, but is also fun and environmentally responsible.
- Small changes in your everyday life to make an impant. Find our more at: UNM Guide to Sustainable Living.pdf